If you’re planning a long journey this summer, it’s important to carry out some basic checks before you head off. Whether you’re off on holiday or you’re travelling for work, basic checks will ensure that your vehicle is safe and ready for what’s ahead.
Things to Check Before Embarking on a Long Journey
- Tyre Pressure– It’s important to check your tyre pressure before beginning any long journey, especially if your tyres are a little older. As well as the pressure, check for any tyre damage and ensure the tread is within the legal limit.
- Engine Oil– Check to see that your vehicle has enough engine oil. You can do this by removing the dipstick, wiping it clean and placing it back into the oil. If you don’t have enough, Vulcan Motorscan top it up.
- Water– Ensure that the vehicle water is within the minimum and maximum marks. Without enough water, it’s difficult for the engine to remain cool.
- Windscreen Washer– It’s not uncommon for a windscreen to become dirty on a long journey and you’ll need windscreen washer to clean it whenever necessary. It’s also a good idea to check that the windscreen wipers themselves are working well and are not creating smears.
- Lights– All of your vehicle lights should be working before you begin a long journey, as this helps to keep you and your car safe on the road. This includes indicators, reversing lights, brake lights and fog lights. Lights can become dirty and bulbs can blow.
- Windscreen– Check the windscreen for any cracks or chips and have them repaired before you head off. Though it may seem small, any windscreen damage can become a lot worse over time. Not only can this make driving dangerous, but it also increases the chances of you having to pay out for costly repairs.
If you’re not confident in your ability to carry out basic checks before your long journey or you’d simply like an expert to oversee things, Vulcan Motors can help. With a wide range of motor services and a great deal of experience, you can count on us to provide an expert service. Find out more today by contacting us on 01252 870 818 or via the online contact form.
Our customer commitments
All members undergo an ongoing programme of rigorous quality and performance checking. As customers of a Bosch Car Service Code of Practice network garage, you’re assured of:
- You’re treated with fairness and respect
- Our billing is clear and uncomplicated
- Your work is carried out in a timely fashion
- We won't try to sell you unnecessary parts, services, or guarantees
- If you have a complaint, it will be dealt with fairly and quickly
- We always use like-for-like quality parts
- Repairs will be conducted in line with manufacturers’ recommendations
- When we promote or advertise ourselves, we will be honest and truthful
If you feel let down in any way, you can appeal to the Bosch Car Service Code of Practice network adjudication panel for further help. As members of the network, we’re bound to follow any rulings laid down.
Monday - Friday: 8AM - 5:30pm
Saturdays: 9AM - 1pm
Female friendly – Foxy Lady approved
The Foxy Lady female friendly network of approved garages and car dealers ensures that its member “never overcharge, patronise, or sell women services they don’t need”.
Foxy Lady’s nationwide team of inspectors monitor standards and compliance through member feedback. In 2015, the Foxy Lady network received the “Outstanding Contribution to the Motor Industry” award.
How do I book my vehicle in?
Call us on 01252 870 818 or, if you’re passing, pop in, say hello, and book a date and a time to suit you.