A number of people assume that all car checks need to be overseen by a trained professional, but this isn’t always the case. Though it’s important that serious or complex problems are left to the experts, there are a number of basic car checks you can do at home. Not only do these checks help you to keep on top of any problems with your vehicle, but they are a good way to highlight any potential faults before they become serious. Plus, carrying out basic car checks allows you to use your vehicle knowing that it is safe to do so.
Basic Car Checks You Can Do At Home
At Vulcan Motors, we always recommend car owners seek professional help when a problem arises with their car. However, there are a range of basic car checks you can do at home to ensure your car is safe to drive.
- Check all of the lights at working, including the rear brake lights and the indicators. A number of accidents are caused by a broken exterior light, despite it being a relatively quick and easy problem to fix. If there isn’t anyone around to see if the lights are working, check using the reflection against a wall.
- Check all mirrors and windows are free from cracks, chips and scratches. A small chip in a window can very quickly turn into a costly repair job if action isn’t taken quicky.
- Check the windscreen wipers are functioning well and there’s an adequate amount of washer fluid.
- Check tyre pressure and the tyres are in good condition. It’s also beneficial to check their tread wear.
- Check for signs of oil leaks; this is usually apparent by a relatively obvious mark on the floor underneath the vehicle.
- Check the handbrake and brakes, ensuring they work as well as they always have.
- Check there’s enough oil in the car. This can be done by removing the dipstick and wiping it clean, before pushing it back in and seeing at where the oil leaves a mark.
Though these basic car checks do not need to be done before every journey, it’s a good idea to do them frequently. As most vehicles are serviced once a year, it’s wise to complete other basic checks between services. To find out more about basic car checks, MOTs or car services – get in touch! Contact Vulcan Motors today on 01252 870 818 or via the online contact form.
Our customer commitments
All members undergo an ongoing programme of rigorous quality and performance checking. As customers of a Bosch Car Service Code of Practice network garage, you’re assured of:
- You’re treated with fairness and respect
- Our billing is clear and uncomplicated
- Your work is carried out in a timely fashion
- We won't try to sell you unnecessary parts, services, or guarantees
- If you have a complaint, it will be dealt with fairly and quickly
- We always use like-for-like quality parts
- Repairs will be conducted in line with manufacturers’ recommendations
- When we promote or advertise ourselves, we will be honest and truthful
If you feel let down in any way, you can appeal to the Bosch Car Service Code of Practice network adjudication panel for further help. As members of the network, we’re bound to follow any rulings laid down.
Monday - Friday: 8AM - 5:30pm
Saturdays: 9AM - 1pm
Female friendly – Foxy Lady approved
The Foxy Lady female friendly network of approved garages and car dealers ensures that its member “never overcharge, patronise, or sell women services they don’t need”.
Foxy Lady’s nationwide team of inspectors monitor standards and compliance through member feedback. In 2015, the Foxy Lady network received the “Outstanding Contribution to the Motor Industry” award.
How do I book my vehicle in?
Call us on 01252 870 818 or, if you’re passing, pop in, say hello, and book a date and a time to suit you.